why would we adopt through foster(DHS) then through an adoption service, well money is a huge issue, and 2.) because i feel called to adopting a child with special needs (as when i went to Peru for a month long mission trip, i worked in a children's home....they were all special needs and i fell in love with all of them)....and about 4 years ago i went to "the March for life" the pro life march in Washington D.C. and we were at the Verizon center (it like wellsfargo arena) and it was full of people who were there for mass. As these group of disabled kids came down the aisle during mass (bringing up the gifts) and as this was happening in my head (i did say in my head) i thought who are those kids and why did they get picked to do that.....Kathy who was from our group all of a sudden leaned over and said "those kids are the children that Doctors told the moms to abort because of their health and they would never lead a good life" and all of a sudden i started to cry and i felt God say to my heart you are going to have one of those one day......and the tears weren't sad tears they were happy tears and the first thing in my mind was.....IM GOING TO BE MARRIED!!!! It never bothered me that i would have a child with special needs.....It gave me hope to know that some day I'm going to have a family!!!! So God has been preparing me for this for along time (it will take Jon a little while to get prepared, i hear it takes men awhile any ways :)).....besides the fact that at the salon everyone would give me the special needs kids cuz they didn't want to deal with them.....I loved it (I'm not saying it wasn't challenging, but God always gave me the patience!!!)
.my friend informed me that there are a lot of children in the NICU that no one wants to adopt because they are special needs and need a lot of care! a lot of the people who do foster care that do want NICU children they do it for the money and not the kids (not everyone is like this but a lot are).
So right now Jon and i are praying about foster care (you can specify foster to adopt or how ever you want to specify) ....we are looking up info and talking to friends and family who have been through this process.
So we are praying and listening to were God is calling us! Please pray that we can listen :)

4 comments:
I will definitely be praying for you!
Can do! (Wish I would have read this before I saw you!)
Praying for you! It's a big decision, but if anyone could do it well you could. :) xoxoxo
Christina, I have been praying for you and John. I have to tell you, my thoughts keep going back to that trip to DC and when you were given that message from God! Do you also remember the rosary you gave to that boy. I think praying the rosary will help you with this decision. As you probably know, I work with special needs children and I love it! I recently attended an autism conference in Wisconsin. Someone asked the guest speaker, Temple Grandin, a very famous and successful woman who has autism, if she had a million would she spend it on a cure for autism or for programs for autism. She replied, it would be sad if autsim was cured because so many people with autism have contributed so much to our lives (einstein, arostotale,etc). How sad this would be! However, I would like to help decrease the struggles people with autism face such as difficulties with sensory issues (loud noises, sensitive skin, etc.), and communication. The foster families and adoptive families I have worked with have struggles but the joy is so great!!!! I will continue to pray for you as you venture on this journey! Let me know if you would like to talk with any foster/adoptive parents and I will see what I can do. God Bless you and John!
Post a Comment